2008-10-02 0 784
PMO an IT function ?
Looking back in my career I have seen many concepts how PMOs have been established in organisations. Most of them started in IT and for whatever reason remain there and managed not just IT Streams of Projects but Enterprise Projects in behalf of the Business as there was a Project Method, skilled resources following the method and even a solution in place to support project management processes and providing transparency as required. I have seen far less PMOs on an enterprise level.
Now I came across an article from CIO.com that the MGM Mirage is about to Transform its IT Project Management Office into an Enterprise Project Management Office.
What are they key reasons highlighted in the article
- The discipline and transparency imposed by a project management office (PMO) can benefit the entire company, not just IT
- more effective than departmental PMOs because they're more likely to earn executive support and because projects approved through an enterprise PMO are more likely to be aligned with corporate strategy and business goals.
How is it been done
- to have all projects and portfolios "of a certain significance or certain amount of capital" funneled through the enterprise PMO
- several functions outside IT will be piloted in the enterprise PMO
- provide transparency across portfolio to get buy in from other functions and entities